Question

Grimslade

Becoming authorized user
I became sick and cards were closed as non payment. I have since obtained newer credit. I have poor status on payments (obviously) and age. My oldest active account is almost a year old. Because of my illness my mom may help by adding me as an additional user. Her car and dot is perfect. Her card has a high limit but I think the balance is high as well. She has had this card for years (15+). She has never made a late payment. Would adding me as a user up my credit?

It could, but the ballance

might actually hurt you in the long run.  If she were to add you to a card with a low balance it would help your more.  The balance will be added on your report as well and if you do not have a lot of available credit it could hurt you more than not adding you at all. 

If she has another card with a lower balance that isn't quiet as old, that would be better. Also tell Mom that she needs to get her balance below 30% of the limit to help her score as well!

The credit age could help, but that may well be offset by the high balance.

I was added as an authorized user on my GF's card afew years ago. It had a high balance, so I think that pretty negated any benefits toward a higher score.

Here's the interesting part - Experian does not even show that account toward my score, whereas EQ & TU do. However, as I built my credit over the past year or so, my scores have increased equally across the 3 bureaus. I have gone from low 600's to about 720 in that time.

So, read up here at CK and other free sites, and see what factors you can improve on.