Question

eb60

Bad Credit Score, need to raise it to 650 before next year!!
I was approved for a credit card through my local bank back in May and quickly maxed it out to the $500 limit it held. I had never had a credit card before, and had 0 credit before this credit card. After I maxed it out, I cut it up and threw it away, knowing I wouldn't use it anymore. Well, since I never had a credit card before and never had to pay payments on anything I forgot to pay my payment for THREE MONTHS!! Terrible. So I checked my credit score last night and I have a 366. Also, terrible. I quickly went and paid the payment. Paid more than what was due, but I know not to pay it off because that will drop my score even more. I'm wanting to apply for a house loan or car loan in the near future, but I cannot do that with anything less than a 650. How do I raise my credit score before the end of the year to a 600 or higher?? Please, any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Most Helpful Response

You really need to read the articles here to learn how credit works and how to build your score.  That is the purpose of Credit Karma.  I now enjoy a very good credit score, but it took a few years to do so.  The learning you will get here will help for the rest of your life.

eb60

Thank you so much! Do you have any personal advise on how to build my credit score? 

I was operating at a 'cash only' basis, which I learned here is not a smart way to live.  I now have several credit cards plus a low interest car loan, more available credit and less debt. It was because I took the time to read the articles here and make needed changes, so my credit score grew. Learned more here than when in college, and I studied business!