Question

Bishop225

Auto Title loan bad idea? CK calc says it'll boost my score ~100 points
I have a 630 Credit Score and about 15k CC debt.

My car is paid off and has a 31k retail value and 25k avg trade in value.

Im thinking about getting an Auto loan to pay down CCs. Credit Karma calculator says that a 10k payment on CC and 10k auto loan would boost my score ~100 points.

Seems like a good idea? Thoughts?

Where can I find a low apr title loan? Seems like most title loan are borderline predatory.

Most Helpful Response

Sell the auto for the 25K or 30K,   pay 15K of the CC debt and buy a nice used auto for 10K =   no debt.   Now Start Saving, 

Just don't put yourself back into the same boat.

Bishop225

While that seems like the logical answer (trust me i thought about it), the car was a gift which complicates things. 

The debt I encured was while I was in graduate school. To sell the car would really put me in a bad place with the person who gave it to me. I rather encumber it to get out of the 18%-23% interest rate i'm paying on the CC debt as long as I can get into a lo 4%-8% interest rate. 

Bishop225

I have 12k total with 18.5k limit. A 10k paydown would get me down to about 10% credit utilization a month.