Question

jlkaferly

Auto Repossession is Now a Charge-off
I purchased a car in college and was completely taken advantage of (in my opinion). I was a 21 year old female who stopped in alone to test drive a Jeep and somehow walked away with a car more than double what I told the salesman I wanted to spend.
Needless to say the payments were way too much for me to afford to begin with, but once my hours were drastically cut at work (reminder, I was a college student working 2 jobs and going to school full time), I got behind on payments. I contacted Wells Fargo every month explaining what was going on and that I did not have anyone to borrow from, was already working a third job and wanted to work out some sort of option to prevent a repossession. They weren't interested and the car was repossessed. I received one letter in the mail after repo stating that the car was sold at auction and my new amount owed would be $7900. The letter stated I would receive correspondence regarding how to settle the debt. I never received anything.
Now, fast forward 2 years and I am a college graduate with a career, married and expecting a baby. I have a vehicle for now, but not one that I can rely on to transport an infant in the upcoming months. Doing the responsible thing, I have been working on improving my credit and removing derogatory remarks. The final item on my list is the Wells Fargo loan that is currently an open account listed as a charge off. I am wanting to contact them to either settle or work out a payment arrangement, but I do not know how to approach the situation considering I have not received any mail, calls, etc from them on how to handle to situation. I am amazed I have gone 2 years and not heard a thing from them!
Any advice on how to proceed so that I may improve my chances of purchasing a new (used) vehicle soon would be greatly appreciated!