Question

PhilGuyTheSilentFly

[Auto Loan] Refinance after 1 year or continue for remainder?
Hello,

I've had an auto loan for about 4 months now, some details:

Used car
11.75% interest rate
15k principal

Currently, I pay about $330 a month. This seems a little high, but considering I don't really have much as far as credit goes, I figured I'd just wait it out.

My question being, if I were to re-finance the loan after a year to lock in a lower interest rate, it would drop my monthly payment by say, $50. Which is cool.

The problem I foresee however, is that I would essentially "lose" that 1 year of auto loan payment history from my credit. And the remainder of what's now the new loan is all I would have.

Should I just eat that $50 and wait out the loan?

tl;dr Refinancing after 1 year, do I lose that year of credit history?

Thanks for your help!

If you re-fi, you won't lose the 1 year of auto loan payments, that will still appear on your report.  Closed accounts stay on your report for 7 years, so it's a non-issue.  Re-fi!!