Question

classicrokr

auto insurance score drops for "no reason" and hasn't changed since.
My auto insurance score was 856 for some time. Then on September 5 it dropped to 811 and 1 week later went to 818. It has stayed exactly at 818 ever since. But my credit scores have inched up steadily. No real meaningful changes other than normal month to month fluctuations of utilization. How can that be explained?

Most Helpful Response

You're asking a question a lot of us have asked. My auto score recently dropped over 60 points on a single hard inquiry (the only one on my record), then dropped another 40+ when I got the card I'd applied for. Meanwhile, my other scores rose. My credit is good and I've had no tickets or accidents. Many, many, many people are in this same boat -- and all that the online "credit advisors" will tell us is that "auto insurance scores are connected with credit, so keep good credit and you'll have a good score." Baloney. The only things we can know are bits and pieces (e.g. for some reason, the auto insurance scoring systems dislike us having store cards and like us having gas cards). But the fact is that, at present, our insurance rates are subject to a scoring system governed apparently by whim. This can cost us thousands of dollars. But we're not allowed to know why or to do anything to fix the problem. It's an outrage.