Question

tjsmar02

Any immediate actions I can take to improve my credit?
So I have plenty of student loan debt, credit card debt, and I will need a new car when I start my new job in June. I will be paying off all of my credit card debt the first month I work. From then on, my first year of pay will be used to cut a huge chunk out of my student loans. This will bring them down to a manageable cost for the last few years. I have a very low credit score. This is due to losing jobs in college, and a few months of very poor financial decisions a few years ago. However, I was wondering if there is anything I can do now that will improve my credit score more in the long run. Should I open a credit card? I have one secured card now for $400. I will be paying all my bills on time until I start working. I guess I just need some guidance on what I can do now.

How are you planning on getting the car? And I hope that you don't mean brand new. You may be best to try to scrape up some money for a cheap car so that you do not have to finance one. If you have any extra money pay down your current credit card (that would help credit).