Question

moereese19

Am I being punished by Collection Agency? What Can I do?
In 2014 I closed my account with Suddenlink Cable.As I was beginning the process of moving out of Texas and back to the east coast. A representative from Suddenlink came out to my home and collected the equipment. He did not give me a receipt for the equipment he took which was odd, he just threw everything into his truck. I was then informed I owed $174.45 for past services PLUS $80.00 for lost equipment. I agreed to pay the $174.45 once the $80.00 for lost equipment was removed from account seeing as though the Suddenlink rep is the one who lost the equipment. While the issue was being disputed Suddenlink sent my account to collections without my knowledge. I have spoken to Credit Management LLP(the collection agency) several times over the last two years asking to settle the debt for $174.45 and asking that the debt be deleted from my credit report and they decline stating that Suddelink will not allow this. I called Suddenlink on 5/5/2016 to verify this statement and they denied it, stating that Credit Management now owns the debt and they can do as they please. I also requested an investigation into where this missing equipment went, from Credit Management, but Suddenlink claims they never received anything from them, and they would research the account and missing equipment and get back to me. I called Credit Management again, after speaking to Suddenlink to review the overall account and to request that I pay the $174.45 and they delete the account from my credit report because they have been less than truthful with me. The supervisor declined and stated she was going to "note my account that I will not pay because they will not delete the account from my credit report". Now this account has been dormant for over a year but all of a sudden it updated on my credit report on 4/29/2016 stating the account is "unsettled", which cost me 30 points on my FICO and Credit Karma score. What can I do? Seems like they are retaliating.

Most Helpful Response

Maybe keep calling the collection company, keep sending letters to the collection company and hopefully you will get someone to agree to a "pay for delete". They will most likely continue to update the account which will not be good, but what can you do. Do some reading on "debt validation" and do some reading on "FDCPA" (fair debt collection practices act) and see if any of this can help. Research this debt collector to see if they are in trouble in any states and what they have done to end up in trouble.

Thanks... Part of me is ready to pay the debt just to get rid of it.