Question

CopperNTen

All my negative credit reports are medical. What recourse do I have?
When I was pregnant with my first child, we were in a tough spot and I had to apply for Medicaid. That took several months. During the meantime, I was dealing with a very high risk pregnancy and racked up some expensive but necessary visits, stays, and surgeries. I was told by the case worker that Medicaid would cover anything I'd incurred in the previous three months, since I was eligible, but it was delayed. That left me on the hook for $1,200, which was fair.

Fast forward a year or so, and I was getting bills from the hospital. I spoke to the hospital, then a collections agency a couple months later (the talk with the hospital apparently got me nowhere). It was supposed to have been handled. Then I wound up with more bills from a new collections company regarding the same visits a couple weeks ago. For nearly 4 years, I'd been working under the assumption that it'd been handled.
I realize now that my downfall was probably that I'd failed to get anything in writing when I spoke to the hospital, insurance provider, and first collections agency.

What recourse do I have? Is there any chance for rehabilitation of the debt without paying in full ($33,000)? Is there any way to appeal and have Medicaid cover it retroactively like I was promised to begin with? Any chance for settling if not?
Also, which of these options would erase these marks from my credit report? I'd have fantastic credit if it weren't for this mess.

I did have defaulted student loan debts, which I have since paid off. I see those are no longer negatively impacting my score. Should I expect something similar from the resolution of these debts?

Most Helpful Response

Check the Statute of Limitations for collections and find out what it is for your state, since it varies.  It is possible these bills may no longer be collectable due to the passage of time. 

Telephone calls are not a good way to get things negotiated because the person you talk to likely does not have the authority to make any changes. If you still have any information on the Medicaid coverage, copy it and forward that information to the collection agency to see if they can get it resubmitted which is something the hospital failed to do.  You should have had a caseworker for Medicaid and that person also may be able to help.  And there is also negotiating  a "pay for delete" agreement, which is covered in the articles here.  This requires "snail mail" and keeping copies of all correspondence until after the bill is fully settled.

1WickedWendy

Thank you, 

I checked my state an found out that it is 6 years. I have paid off many of my hospital bills since being in collection and did not negotiate for a discount or to have it removed from closed accounts. It doesn't even show as being paid. Live an learn I suppose. 

hospital bills

if u cant get rid of the bill u can pay $10 a month as long as u r paying it credit score will go up. also u can dispute them with the credit bureaus and where it says WHY? write in big letters 

H.I.P.P.A nothing else they have to erase it off your credit report

CopperNTen

I had the same thing happen to me  .and it was in Ohio with an emergency room . . you have to speak with hospital they shoild have gave you an option for charity case. .if not ask for it. . its very simple and they will help you fill out the paperwork. . it goes thru rite away l. . tell the woman you need a letter  to send to collections agency . . then you call the collections agency and tell them you have a letter. .they will ask you to fax it ( make sure the letter has $0 balance ) and it will be removed off your credit report within 3 days !

does anyone know how long medical bills in ohio stay on your credit report

Credit scores fixed

Fix my credits score 3 collector in station cane up it really hurting my credit

Medical bills in VA

I am in VA. and I owe medical bills for 2015/16 and I want to know the time in which it takes to come off your credit report and how to pay on it to get them paid off?

Dispute and removed

I had disputed a medical bill, it ended up being removed and still shows removed through Equifax, but a month ago that same bill through the same collection agency now shows up as a collection through Transunion and Equifax. What does that mean