Question

dalessandrct

After being denied to go Unsecured, how long to wait until trying BoA again?
Hi everyone, relatively new to Credit Karma, first time poster!

Situation:
I've had the Secured Bankamericard $500 limit for about a year and a half (I thought it automatically graduated your card after the year). I've paid on time and in full every money, so I called BoA. They said it was great that I've paid every month, I have a relatively new car loan that I've paid every month as well BUT due to delinquent school loans (due to my parents never helping me to set up paying them) they said they couldn't graduate my card at this time and to try back in a few months.

Question:
How many months should I wait before calling again? I don't want to call after 3 months, get a hard inquiry again and have them say "oh we need a few more months to prove yourself again". So I want basically a guarantee that when I call everything will be good to go. Would you say try again in December so I have 6 months of on time payments?... along with, by that time, over two years of perfect secured credit card payments and a full year of perfect car payments.

Thanks for helping out!

Addition!

Also, if I do wait until December to call BoA again and get it changed to unsecured, how long after should I wait to ask for a credit limit increase? I plan on going on vacation out of country in Summer 2014 so I wanted to have a more significant limit just in case of emergency. At least the cost of a flight.