Question

CaseyCayce

About the Consent Agreement on Pre-Qualified Card Offers
In looking through the 'Search All Credit Cards' page I found a favorable card that has a "See if You Pre-Qualify" option. Selecting that option takes me to a screen where I am asked to agree to a Consent & Authorization form that reads:
"By clicking 'Agree & Continue', I hereby authorize Credit Karma to send my personal information provided above to participating credit card issuers ("participating issuers") on my behalf in order to identify certain "pre-qualified" credit product offers for me."

If I agree to this, does it mean I’m going to be flooded with endless credit card offers either in my email or postal mail as a result? Am I agreeing to be listed in an open registry, or to just having my info sent to only this one card—and perhaps others—I’m interested in?

Most Helpful Response

Creditkarma "shares"

Dear CaseyCayce,

Being a newbie here, I feel odd posting a reply to any questions, but there appear to be few responders, and I happen to have a good answer for you because I am new and have been reading all the Terms and Conditions of using this site. I copied the following text from the portion of Creditkarma's Terms and Conditions dealing specifically with applications for pre-approval.  I would advise you to expect offers from companies other than the ones to whom you are specifically preapplying.   All these firms make money from referrals and sharing lists, and Creditkarma is no exception.  At least we are given fair warning!  Good luck in your quest!

"Please read this information carefully and print a copy and/or retain this information for future reference.

"I hereby authorize Credit Karma to send my personal information provided above to current and future participating personal loan providers or platforms (collectively, "participating providers") on my behalf in order to identify certain "pre-approved" personal loan offers. I also authorize each participating provider to obtain and use consumer report information about me from one or more consumer reporting agencies (such as TransUnion, Experian or Equifax) to find offer invitations. I understand that certain participating providers might use consumer report information that is not the most current or recent.

"In connection with my request for pre-approved offers, I consent to receive electronic communications from certain participating providers as described in these E-Consent Terms. I also understand that this form is not an application for credit and that finding a pre-approved offer is not a guarantee of approval. While checking for pre-approved offers does not affect my credit score, I understand that if I choose to apply for a pre-approved offer, the participating provider may run a hard inquiry on my credit report.

"I acknowledge that the authorizations granted herein will remain valid for a one year period or until I adjust mycommunications settings , whichever is earlier."

CaseyCayce

Thanks, Clotheshorse. I agree. I feel like the better bet would be to assume the worst because, like you said, it's how they make money. Guess I'll have to come up with some filters if I allow it, to weed out the unwanteds.

Thanks again for your help.

Cayce