Question

jackrich56

A bill from the past
I received a call from a law firm saying that I owe Verizon a bill from 2002. I don't remember this bill and they said if I don't pay it by Friday they will file a lawsuit against it. I asked them to email some documentation on it , but haven't received anything. How can I find out if this is real and is there a statute of limitation on collecting a bill.

Sounds like either a scam or a debt collector that does not follow the laws. Either way, you shouldn't have anything to worry about, just DO NOT give them any information. Do some searching on the "statute of limitations to be sued for debt" in your state. It does vary from state to state, so find your state's SOL for debt. Take a picture of the caller id from this place that contacted you and be sure to save any messages from them or written correspondence. If you determine it to be a scammer, then report them to the authorities. If you determine it to be an actual debt collector then you should contact a consumer law attorney that deals with FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) cases. Kimmel & Silverman are a great firm that helps people harassed by debt collectors, but I am not sure if they practice in your state. If they don't, then do some Googling to find a FDCPA attorney that does practice in your state. It would benefit you to do some reading on the FDCPA so you know what debt collectors are not allowed to do. It sounds to be like they are violating the law and your rights in many ways and you might be entitled to sue them and recover an award from the courts.

Don't Pay!!!

The statute of limitations on collections in any state is generally 6 years or less, though a couple are at ten years.  This debt is far past that and is uncollectable due to the expiration of the SOL. If these jerks call, tell them the SOL is long expired making the debt uncollectable, then hang up and do not answer any future calls from them (the benefit of Caller ID).

I believe a couple states are 14 years, one being Kentucky I think, I can't remember off hand and could be wrong about that, if I remember I will look it up and post back or if one of you would look it up and post back that would be good to in case I forget, just curious. I would also say that ignoring them is not the answer as they will continue to harass the poster illegally, as I said get an attorney that deals in FDCPA violations and that will silence them and put money in your pocket, if this is a collector breaking the rules.

After a quick search, I found on CreditInfoCenter a chart of SOLs. I did not fact check this, but I would guess it is on the up an up, but do your own research. According to the chart that they have the most lenghty SOLs for written agreements is 15 years and that is in the state of Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia. I would assume that a Verizon account would be considered a written contract, but am not sure. So if the original poster is in any state but these states they should surely be outside of the SOL. Keep in mind, that the SOL will vary depending on what type of contract or agreement the debt was from, for example, even though Kentucky's SOL for written agreements is fifteen years, the SOL for credit card debt in Kentucky is only five years. This is assuming that the creditinfocenter is correct, as said I didn't fact check it as it is time for me to go to sleep.