Question

leticiahernandez93

7 maxed out credit cards, $1800 to pay on them...
I maxed out 7 of my 9 cards (I know, I know). BUT I have $1800 to pay towards the $3600 total I owe. Would it look better on my credit if I paid them all down 50%? Or would it look better if I pay off 4 credit cards in full and still have 3 maxed out?

Most Helpful Response

Pay them all down to 50%. However, one has got to wonder if you have emergency fund. If you do not, consider using some of that money for that. 

In either case, when you figure out how much you can pay, call each of the credit card companies and work out a payment schedule. Threaten to default if they do not -- worst they can say is no in which case you proceed to pay them off as you originally planned; best case you end up with some fees and interest rate reduced.