Question

Creditchallanged

40 point jump needed
I'm trying to purchase a home and I need my credit score to go up by 40 points quick. lat hurt me because it made those accounts current again. My CC utilization is 30% and I have some late pays on students loans as early as 8 months ago. Any advice?

Most Helpful Response

Reduce your CC balances

Reduce your balances to 10% or less,  Even better pay them down to $0.  Given the late pays you mention, thats the only thing i see that will better your chances. 

once they are paid  you can ask for a re-scoring

How did you come to the conclusion that you need 40 points? Are you looking at the same scoring models as your lender uses? Besides, your credit scores might take the back seat when you have recent late payments.

Lower your utilization to under 10%, but not zero. You can still pay your bills in full every month, but sometime between the due date and the closing date charge something small so your card appears active. 
There is no such thing as a quick fix when it comes to your credit score. A 40-point jump could very well take years to achieve.