Question

Talmadge1989

2 different collection agencies, one account?
I just paid off a collections account that just got switched from a separate agency, the first agency already reported to the credit bureau and I was told by the second agency that they had to report it also.
My question is will both show up on my credit report? Does one have to be taken off? Can I dispute this with the credit bureau?

Thank You

Most Helpful Response

Yes, both can show up on your credit report, but only one can be open and have a past due amount and balance.  Legally, both can continue to report to the bureaus for 7 & 1/2 years from date you paid it off or the date it went past due, whichever is latest.  Only way you can get them off is to negotiate with the collector/creditor for a "pay-per-delete", but since you've already paid it off, it's too late for that.  Now you'll just have to wait for a few years for them to fall off.  Sorry it isn't better news.  (FYI - no agency "has" to report any account, that is just their internal decision, nobody is making them do it, so if you want to try to plead with them to remove it, they can if they want to.)

Mikini

What if they are both still open?  I have 2 different debts that are each claimed by 2 separate collection agencies and all are open.  One of the debts I know is paid since it is from 2010 and I am still going to that dr and he hasn't said anything.