We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
|On average, loans are funded quickly||Loan process completed in branch|
|Considers more than just your credit scores||Maximum APR is on the higher end|
What you need to know about a OneMain Financial personal loan
OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans, and considers people with a limited credit history or lower credit scores. While the application and funding process has an average turnaround of about one day, you’ll need to visit one of the lender’s roughly 1,600 branches in 44 states to finalize your loan.
Considers people across the credit score spectrum
OneMain Financial looks at your entire financial picture — including income, expenses and loan purpose — when reviewing applicants.
OneMain Financial’s 2019 annual report shows it lends to people with a range of credit scores, and the company’s February 2019 investor presentation showed an average score of 635 for those who received an unsecured loan with the lender and 613 for those who received a secured loan.
Higher interest rates
Although OneMain Financial is willing to consider people with lower credit scores, this flexibility comes at a cost. Its starting annual percentage rates, or APR, are nearly 10 percentage points higher than many other lenders, and its maximum APR is on the higher end.
OneMain Financial’s investor presentation in February 2019 showed that the average interest rate on its unsecured personal loan in 2018 was nearly triple what the NCUA reported as the average APR on an unsecured 36-month personal loan from a bank as of December 2018.
Branch visit required
While you begin the loan process by applying for prequalification online, you’ll need to visit a OneMain branch to complete the application and close the loan.
If you like a traditional bank experience, this might be a benefit. For others, needing to visit a OneMain branch could be a hassle, especially if you don’t live in one of the 44 states where OneMain Financial has branches. But OneMain Financial estimates that 88% of Americans live within driving distance of a branch.
The good news is that funding can be pretty quick. If you’re approved for a loan, you might be able to receive funding that same day. If you choose to receive your loan by check, you can get the check at the branch during your loan closing.
Personal loan details
OneMain Financial said in its February 2019 investor report that it’s the largest branch-based personal loan lender in the U.S. Here are some other important details to know.
- OneMain Financial offers a rewards and discount program. You can earn points that can be redeemed for merchandise, gift cards and other goodies.
- Loan amounts range from as little as $1,500 up to $20,000 if you apply through the lender.
- It offers loan terms of 24, 36, 48 or 60 months if you apply through the lender.
- People commonly use a OneMain Financial loan for debt consolidation, household bills, auto-related expenses and home repairs. Its loans can’t be used to fund college or vocational education expenses, for business purposes, to buy securities or for gambling.
- It offers both secured and unsecured personal loans. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, campers and boats can be used as collateral for a secured loan, which may allow you to qualify for a larger loan amount if you weren’t initially offered the amount you need.
- It doesn’t charge prepayment penalty fees.
- OneMain Financial allows co-applicants. If you’re struggling to get approved for the loan amount you need, a co-applicant could help.
Who a OneMain Financial loan is good for
OneMain Financial could be good for people who need a loan quickly but have trouble meeting other lenders’ credit requirements.
It might also be a good fit for someone who wants some choice in how long to take paying it back — loan terms range from two to five years. But keep in mind that the longer the loan term, the more interest you’re likely to pay.
Despite these benefits, OneMain Financial’s interest rates can be high. If you’re able to qualify for a loan with a lower APR elsewhere, that might be a better financial move.
How to apply with OneMain Financial
The first step of the loan process is applying for prequalification. This can be completed online in a matter of minutes and won’t affect your credit scores. Just remember that prequalification doesn’t mean you’re actually approved for a loan — it just gives you an idea if you might be approved and what the loan rates could be.
After applying for prequalification, you’ll see estimated interest rates and loan terms.
If you receive a loan offer, you’ll need to head to a OneMain Financial branch to complete the application and close the loan.
Not sure if a personal loan from OneMain Financial is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
If you aren’t sure if a loan from OneMain Financial is right for you, here are some others to consider.
- LendingClub: A LendingClub personal loan could be a good choice for those with solid credit.
- Citizens Bank: A Citizens Bank personal loan could be a fit for someone with good credit.