We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
|Earn rewards points on Belk purchases made in store and online||High purchase APR|
|Sign-up bonus||Rewards points can be spent only at Belk|
|No annual fee||Rewards points expire|
Core features of the Belk® Rewards Card
We’ve all heard that question at the checkout line: “Do you have a rewards card with us?”
If you don’t have the card, you might be missing out on potential savings.
The application process
When you apply for the Belk® Rewards Card you’re actually applying for two different cards at the same time: the Belk® Rewards Mastercard® and the Belk® Rewards Card.
So what’s the difference? The Belk® Rewards Mastercard® is accepted everywhere Mastercard is accepted. The Belk® Rewards Card is accepted only at Belk, either online or in store. There’s no way of knowing which credit card you’ll get when you apply, so you may end up with a card that you can use at only one store — Belk.
Rewards with the Belk® Rewards Card
We think the Belk’s rewards system is as easy and straightforward as they come. Simply use your credit card at any Belk store or on belk.com and receive three rewards points for every $1 that you spend. Once you reach 1,000 points, you’ll receive $10 in Belk Reward Dollars.
We estimated that you’d have to spend about $334 at Belk to reach the 1,000-point threshold to get your $10 Belk Reward Dollars. That’s a lot of Belk shopping for a minimal reward.
The Belk® Rewards Card has a three-tier rewards system that gives its biggest spenders the most rewards bang for their buck.
|Card||Spending requirement||Rewards rate|
|Belk® Rewards Card||$0 to $599||3%|
|Belk® Premier Rewards Card||$600 to $1,499||4%|
|Belk® Elite Rewards Card||$1,500+||5%|
With each tier increase, there are also added benefits, including more-flexible payment options, free shipping for in-store and online Belk purchases and invitation-only savings events. Belk keeps track of your spending and automatically issues you a new card if you’ve reached a new tier. But if you don’t spend enough each year to remain in a certain tier level, Belk will also downgrade your card.
If you do get the Belk® Rewards Mastercard®, you can also earn two points for every $1 spent on eligible gas and grocery purchases, and one point for every $1 spent on all other purchases — and not just at Belk.
APR and monthly balances
Retail store credit cards are notorious for having higher interest rates than non-retail-issued credit cards. The Belk® Rewards Card is no exception, with a striking 25.49% fixed APR on purchases. And so Belk cardholders must be extra careful to not carry a monthly balance.
We think that using a Belk® Elite Rewards Credit Card with the 5% earning rate offers the best rewards — but at what cost? You have to spend a substantial amount of money at this one specific department store every year to earn those top rewards. And the rewards could quickly lose their luster if you find yourself carrying a balance and paying the high interest rate.
What else you need to know about the Belk® Rewards Card
- The Belk® Rewards Card gets extra kudos for offering immediate savings and a sign-up bonus. New account holders can save up to 20% on eligible first-day purchases. You’ll also get $10 in bonus rewards if you make a purchase on the first day the account is opened.
- Rewards certificates, which are mailed out two to three billing cycles after you’ve earned 1,000 points, can only be redeemed at Belk‚ either in store or online. There aren’t any other reward-redemption methods offered.
- If your Belk® Rewards Card is inactive for 12 months, any remaining rewards points on the account are forfeited.
- Even if your account is in good standing, rewards points expire one year from the date that they’re earned.
Who this card is good for
We all have our favorite stores. If your favorite store is Belk, then applying for its rewards credit card might be a good idea. Just be sure to know what you’re signing up for. Otherwise, this card probably isn’t worth it.
Not sure this is the card for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Discover it® Miles: Looking for a travel card that lets you earn rewards on every purchase and redeem multiple ways? This card could be for you.
- Citi Simplicity® Card: This is a good option for cardholders who plan to make a large purchase.
- Capital One® Secured Mastercard®: This card is good for people who are looking to improve their credit history or who are new to credit.