Credit Card Reviews

Citi® Platinum Select® MasterCard®

Credit Score
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders that a credit score that currently falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit score across all holders of this card, every month, for the past year.
  • info This chart displays the average credit score at the time of approval for cardholders approved during a given month.
Credit Limit
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose credit limit on this card currently falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current balance on this card falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current credit limit utilization for this card falls within the given utilization ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
60+ Days Past Due Status
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that were 60+ days past due for the given month for the past year.
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that are currently 60+ days past due and whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
  • info This chart displays the average amount that is 60+ days past due for holders whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
Age of Cardholder
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Sample Size: 5,868
Data Created: October 01, 2013

250 Cardholder Reviews

Results 1-10 of 250Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 25   Previous | Next

Got instant approval for this card with a $3000 CL. TU: 838, EXP:788, EQ: 775. Currently have 1 credit card from BOA with a $2000CL, $0 balance. No delinquencies, on time payments for 3 years, and no other loans, debt, or credit accounts. Think relatively short credit history with low overall available credit contributed to the low CL here. Hopefully, this will be a stepping stone. Thank CK for all your brilliant info. You guys rock.

radavisjr's review was:

Nov 17, 2010 Reply

radavisjr(1, 12)

Review by radavisjr

Applied with 33% credit utilization, 729 Ck score (which was exactly the same as Experian) annual income of $30,000 and total debt of $112,000 (including a car loan, several credit cards and a mortgage).  I was approved for $4,000 with a 15.99% APR. My other non-retailer specific credit card is with my credit union at 6.99% APR which I will continue to use as my primary card obviously. I love credit unions. I had a credit score of about 450 5 years ago. It is possible to rebuild. Hang in there.

jfdibutton's review was:

Oct 04, 2011 Reply

jfdibutton(1, 7)

Review by jfdibutton

I work for a credit union and can't agree with you more.  You are a perfect example of why credit unions were brought into existance.  I'm so glad to hear that you are so pleased with them.  A little bit of advice to people who are struggling with their credit... use credit unions.  I'm not saying that this isn't a great card, but for low rates and AMAZING service... CU's are the way to go!

stephanierobinson310's reply was:

Feb 01, 2012

stephanierobinson310(1, 4)

Review by stephanierobinson310

Your 0% is not Zero

I did not apply for the card and I am not going to. But I need to explain The “Balance Transfer fee” Many people will apply for a card thinking the 0% interest rate is really 0%. In fact “No  its not Zero, its Zero + the Balance Transfer fee; so if you have a an off for 0% for 12 months with a Balance Transfer fee of 5% you rate is 5%; because when you calculate the cost you have to add the 5%.  The bank know what they doing, They make you fee good by offering 0% but they make you pay the 5% in advance.  Think about it, If someone ask you what is your rate will you tell them I paid 5% or you will tell them 0%. You will tell them 0%.  But you paid 5%

Also you need to note that Credit line to Balance ratio, If you have accredit card with a CL of $10.000 with a balance of 5,000 you Balance to Limit ratio is 50% (The lower the better), But if you move that balance to another credit card with a Credit limit of $5,000 your Balance to limit ratio would 100%, that will hurt your credit score, then get your interest rate higher, add to that you have now a new card, a new card will lower your score any way because about 35% of your credit score is your recent credit.

Citibank is one of the best bank I really like, and I hate BOA, Chase and Wells Fargo,

Smadiscore's review was:

Mar 08, 2011 Reply

Smadiscore(1, 5)

Review by Smadiscore

I just applied with a score of 740 and got an instant approval for $7300.  I was able to set up a balance transfer immediately after approval so I am GOLDEN!

MichaelKuntz's review was:

tigger4444's reply was:

Oct 20, 2011

tigger4444(7, 15)

Review by tigger4444

Just got approved instantly for $4,000, 0% APR for 21 months (for purchases made within the first 4 months**), and 11.9% thereafter.  CK score of 745, Vantage 817. AH Income $40,000 I've never missed nor been late on a payment of any kind. Thank you CK for a very useful information.

nicolemdawson's review was:

Apr 30, 2011 Reply

nicolemdawson(1, 4)

Review by nicolemdawson

Been pondering about getting this card, wanted to take advantage of the 0% for 18 months and purchase a new TV.  Went ahead and applied and was instantly approved for $1200.  Not to thrilled about the CL being that low.  CK said i had a "fair" chance of approval.  Post BK of 8 years now, I live in South Florida and they pulled Equifax which happened to be my lowest score with 709. CK score of 696. I have a Cap One Plat with a CL of $3000 and a Discover More with a CL of $4000.  Hope this info helps.

crunk850's review was:

May 22, 2012 Reply

crunk850(2, 4)

Review by crunk850

I just applied for the Citi Platinum Select MasterCard.  Upon applying, I did not get an instant decision. The on-line response said more information was needed and to call an 800 number for an immediate decision.  I called and all they wanted was a cell phone number to complete processing my application.  I was on hold for about 4 min. and then the lady came back on the line and told me I was approved with a $3000 credit limit.  My current scores are:  TU: 759  EX: 741  EQ: 760.  I also have several inquiries from a recent car purchase in January and other inquiries.  Additionally, I have a chapter 7 bankruptcy on file that will not come off until September of 2013.  (Bankruptcy was 8 years ago and I have rebuilt my credit very well since then.)  Between this card, other bank cards, and department store cards, I will now have 16 credit accounts with a total credit limit of just over $46,000 in plastic credit.

I did a lot of homework and reading reviews...  It appears Citi is really looking hard at all applicants and increase their business.  I have applied about 4 times over the past 2 years and I was finally approved.

mallar's review was:

Jul 04, 2011 Reply

mallar(8, 14)

Review by mallar

CK score of 735 and was approved for 1800 which is fine knowing that I don't realy need the card.I have a Citi Forward card and I have a limit of 6500 and an APR of 14.24%. Overall Citi has been good to me,I am always on time and I've never had any issues with them.I also have Citi Checking and Savings so payment is in seconds.

Thanks Citi.

opyjoby's review was:

Nov 11, 2010 Reply

opyjoby(2, 4)

Review by opyjoby

I have had this card since 1998.  I had a credit limit of $27,500.  There was a balance of around $5,000 which I paid off 6-8 months ago.  I wasn't using this card because Citi had hiked my interest rate up to 27%.  Long story short, they just canceled my card.  Now, I just applied every extra bit of cash I received in the last couple of months to pay down debt and managed to pay down about 9,000 worth of credit.  Citi's action just dropped my credit score by 25 points.  And, the customer service person I spoke admitted that I've been a very good customer with an outstanding payment history.  So, thanks Citibank for putting another nail in my financial coffin.

tookum's review was:

Apr 09, 2011 Reply

tookum(3, 14)

Review by tookum

Just a side comment on this - the reason credit card companies are jacking up interest rates on loyal, high credit consumers is because of the financial reform that came out of Washington.  The legislation basically prohibits credit card companies from giving higher interest rates to higher risk borrowers.  Essentially this means they can only offset their risk by jacking up everyone's interest rates.  It's not limited to this bank/credit card.  I'm seeing it happen on all of my accounts.  We can thank Washington for this...

bmdensmore's reply was:

Apr 29, 2011

bmdensmore(1, 7)

Review by bmdensmore

I avoided the large interest rate hike by declining to accept the new terms, then when my card was expired and I never got a new one I called to see what the problem was even though I knew I wasn't supposed to get a new card because I refused the new terms.  I told them I was never informed that my card would be canceled (even though I was) and  my interest rate has been 12.24% for 3 years instead of going up to 27.9%.  They are to big a company to know every cardholder's situation, so it is best to use that against them.

glick22's reply was:

Apr 26, 2011

glick22(1, 1)

Review by glick22

They did the same thing to me!!! My credit score was 750 & I have never been late on payments, I had my act for 8 years... They called me in dec & said I had a choice, they hike my rate crazy high or close the act when the card expires. I told them to cancel it not knowing that that would actually be worse than leaving it open with no balance... I will never do business with this bank again.

toby65's reply was:

Apr 10, 2011

toby65(1, 1)

Review by toby65

It's not just Washington.  These Credit companies and banks were giving  credit  to anyone with a pulse and making millions doing it.  Now, they're cutting loose anyone who doesn't have a high balance they can hit with a 29% interest rate.  Mine went from 15.4% to 29.6%, and happened before I was ever late on a payment or over my limit.

summergirl23's reply was:

Aug 17, 2011

summergirl23(5, 1)

Review by summergirl23

Simliar for me except I carry a balance, I've had mine since 2002 and took advantage of 0% balance transfer, my APR was 11.2% after the promotional period for the balance transfer then out of nowhere shot up to 29.99% in Jan 2010 - no late payments on this card, or any late payments on other cards/loans.  Same thing, called them, they told me I had a chance to cancel, except in my case I never received the letter in the mail otherwise I would have gladly taken a hit on my score just to not being paying them 30% int!

jlynn1123's reply was:

Apr 25, 2011

jlynn1123(1, 0)

Review by jlynn1123

I was looking at the bar graph for credit limits and what the heck are people who are in the 501-550 range getting a higher CL than those in the >750 range. The 501-550 were getting $5,959 for a CL and those >750 were only getting $5,507 for a CL. Something doesn't pass the smell test here.

Apr 08, 2012 Reply

It looks like a small sample size issue. I'll submit it to product. Thanks for pointing it out!

CK Moderator

Results 1-10 of 250Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 25   Previous | Next

Add Your Review Of Citi® Platinum Select® MasterCard®

Cardholder Rating Distribution (250)

Top Similar Cards

Citi Cards holds the distinction of being the world's largest provider of credit cards, serving more than 150 million accounts and representing the largest consumer business within the global financial services giant, Citi. Citi Cards offers the full range of credit cards, from basic cards to rewards cards. Citi Cards also recently released what they claim to be the “second generation of credit cards”, the Citi 2G Cards, that carries a microchip that allows consumers to choose between credit or rewards points options embedded as buttons on the credit card's face. Citi Cards are available online or at Citibank branches, which offers basic banking, lending, and investment services.

One of the largest full-service banks in the world, Citibank is a major international bank serving more than 100 countries and 200 million customers. Citibank was founded in 1812 under the name City Bank of New York, and today is part of the global financial services giant Citi with the motto, “Citi never sleeps”.

Citi® Platinum Select® MasterCard®