Question

Frank98723

Would opening a new credit card for 6 months and then closing it hurt my credit score?
I want to take advantage of a cash bonus offer by opening a new account. Since this will reduce my average account age and initially hurt my credit score, I was wondering if my credit score would revert back if I simply closed the account in 6 months once I receive my cash bonus?

I understand that there may now be a hard credit inquiry on my credit report (would would lower my credit score potentially), but assuming I make my payments on time, would anything else be affected?

you'll take a small hit like you said when you open it, lowering your avg age and a hard pull. if you have long time established credit, i wouldn't worry about it. your credit will come back, as you make payments on time over time. make sure you have open and active accounts that you pay on EVERY month. if this is the only piece of credit on your report, then i wouldn't advise closing it. if you have other credit, go for it and enjoy the free money!