Question

Anagill

Would it show poorly on my credit if I close some credit card accounts?

Most Helpful Response

In most cases, closing credit card accounts causes scores to drop.

In your shoes, if I had cards with annual fees that I didn't use and wanted to be rid of those payments, I'd close them regardless of their impact on my score. However, if they're no-fee cards or cards you might find useful in the future, I'd use them now and then to keep them alive.

You might also want to close them if you have trouble managing your credit and see the cards as a temptation. But strictly for scoring purposes, if you can manage your cards well, it's nearly always best to keep them.