Question

glg60

Would it be helpful for me to have credit in my name only?
Most of our debt is in my husband's name only. On a few, like the car & mortgage I am the co signer. Would it be helpful for me if I had credit in my own name?

It worked for us.

Before my layoff from a MAJOR telecommunications company, I had all loans and debt in my name.  My wife could use her check as she wanted every week.  Her credit was great and she used only one card so it was a pleasure to work with.  When I got laid off and the economy was terrible.  We were selling personal and even family heirlooms to survive toward the end of the unemployment stint... I even had paid off the mortgage two years before!  Toward the end of that nightmare I lost a vehicle to the bank.  My score took a terrible hit.  When I finally landed an adequate job, I needed a little car finalize the new employment.  I couldn't get one.  My wife's credit is what saved the day.  SO, I'd say yes.  Bring this to your husband's attention.  Be wise, use it right and always in the best interest of the family.  I now consider having two lines of credit as being a facet of preparedness!  It worked nicely.