Question

thatBoyFlackz

WOULD I STILL HAVE TO PAY BACK ON A DEBT EVEN IF ITS 8YRS OLD AND THE DEALER IS PERMANENTLY CLOSED?
Hi, my wage's have recently started being garnished from a auto dealer for whom i had bought a car from roughly 8yrs ago. I did not receive a letter or anything from them before garnishments but was notified by my payroll department about it shortly before it started happening.
I bought the car back in 2007 turned it in roughly a yr later and have never heard from the dealer ever since! Not once! Early this yr (2016) i was notified by payroll and shortly after, my wages started being garnished. My address of residence has changed from back in 07-08, how can they find out where i work but not know my new address where they can send me a letter of the garnishments? Also, i've looked into the dealer and found out they are permanently closed as of 2 months ago (today is, 05/27/2016) do i still owe them? And if so, what can i do to try and reverse or rather dismiss everything.. I have considered bankruptcy but would hate to do so for only this.

If they have a garnishment

Then they went to court and got a judgement.  (If they went through a bankruptcy when the went out of business the court may have required them to produce any uncollected debts as part of thier filing. Hence the judgement.) 

You say the car was repossed by the dealer and you never heard from them again but they found you to collect the debt.  All they need to find you is a SS number. If you file taxes or have a job they can find your employer. 

You will need to write to the government agency that has filed the garnishment. Your emplyer should have provided you with a copy of the garnishment letter that they recieved. Contact that agency and explain your case.  Do it in writing and provide any documentation you have.  The dealer should have porovided some type of receipt or paperwork for the vehicle when you turned it.  I hope you kept it! 

Good Luck