Question

creditcrunch1

would I qualify for a Chase card with no open credit cards on report?
My credit report consists of only student loans (all in good standing)- but no credit cards or any other accounts. As a result, I have a decent score (CK says 699), but a "D" grade for Open Accounts, and obviously credit utilization is N\A. So I appeal to the knowledgeable community- would I qualify for a standard card with one of the big banks?

PS- I was denied credit 6 months ago because I had a public record on my report, but that has since been removed. Is it worth applying to the same bank now that the record is clean?

Thank you

IMHO, the score lies when it says a 699 is a D and thus 'decent'.  699 is bad.  I'm not sure if CHASE has a 'beginner' card out there or not, but I'm fairly certain you could get a 'normal' credit card with something like Providian.  re: 2nd question, yeah, you could.  I wouldn't, but I guess that's just a personal preference..

creditcrunch1

Hi, thanks for the feedback.  I didn't get the impression that 699 is "bad", but obviously not great.  That score is actually listed as the avg credit accepted for a Chase Freedom card- so I thought my chances might be good. I think my biggest challenge right now is the lack of any existing credit cards.  Does anyone know if Chase or other big bank would deny credit simply based on that?