Question

Lancealot9

Would I benefit by paying these collections
I have 2 collections showing up on my ceedit report. They where placed there by frontier communications. It was one account but they reported it as two separate acvounts. I called them and offered to pay if they would report it as one but they refused. It has been almost a year since they reported and they are only showing on equifax not Transunion. I'm trying to get situated to refinance my car in the next couple months and I'm not sure if it would be better if I called and paid the balance or just let it be. They are about $90 and $30.

Most Helpful Response

Are the accounts updating monthly? If they haven't updated in a while, don't simply pay them as it would cause a ding to your scores as the accounts would update and look fresh upon you paying them. The best solution would be to get a Pay For Delete agreement from them, agreeing to remove them for your payment, get them to agree to this prior to paying of course.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The bigger question is why they are reporting two accounts instead of one. Was there actually 2 accounts or only 1? I would really check into this as they may be violating your rights as well as the law. If you determine that there was only 1 original account, contact a consumer lawyer right away. Many consumer attorneys will work on contingency in FDCPA cases.

Lancealot9

I have attempted this already. They just act like im crazy and tell me this is impossible. I even asked for a supervisor after having the agent I spoke to keep insisting that I fill out their fraud packet if I beleive them to be fraud. Apperently they were unable to comprehend that I would want them off my credit report even if the debt was not fraud.

The whole two accounts thing is just beyond weird. They say they closed one account due to non payment and then I opened the next one about 2 months after. I canceled it they did not shut me off and it was because the crooks were charging me around $80 - $150 a month for a $59 promotion. I kept calling and they kept telling me oh we will credit you just pay a $65 payment to avoid service interruption and we will fix it. Meawhile they were continuously reporting the account as 30, 60, 90, 120, 180 days past due.

I was so angry when I finally shut it off that I did not pay another dime as they had already overcharged me for months, that was probably my bad. The problem is I would not even know where to begin in proving that they weren't two accounts and that all these promises were made to me. I tried looking through bank statements to proove that there was not an interruption in my monthly payments but its a bit overwhelming. 

They were pretty consistant in saying that short of me claiming them to be fraud they would not do anything to help me. I didnt even realize that an old cable bill like that would hit my credit report, well unless they turned it over to a collections agency. Frountier is reporting it themselves.

One of the places I  want to apply for the auto loan refinance at told me I cannot have anything in collections. If they pull Transunion or experian I'm golden I guess.