Question

Sharpm1

Would getting a personal loan help build my credit history
I applied to get an auto loan and I was approved with a cosigner, they told me I don't have enough history. I've had a credit card for 2 years now my scores a 650, I thought I had enough credit history after 2 years. If I were to wait on an auto loan and were to get a small personal loan and made payments on that for a few months would it be enough to build credit history so I wont have to have a cosigner? Also help my score improve? Or would I be better off with a cosigner on an auto loan?

Most Helpful Response

It would be best to find a different lender that does not require a cosigner. Getting an installment loan will do little for your profile/scores over the next few months. Eventually you will want to have a minimum of 3 credit cards and an installment loan to build credit, but do not apply for any credit now because it would damage your chances of getting approved for an auto loan. Like I said, search for a different lender or dealership that works with all credit situations. Or buy a beater car, and build your credit for the next year and then go for a car loan next year.