Question

msodpt

would consolidating my student loans increase my score or would getting a credit card be better?
I am a "returning" student who just graduated (yeah!) with my doctorate. I have high student loan debt and a not so great credit score. I am looking to relocate and buy a house with my husband. I need to improve my score, so I was wondering if consolidating my loans or getting a credit card would be best for increasing my score in a reasonable amount of time. I currently do not have a credit card. My only debt is my student loans and my car payment. Thank you!

Most Helpful Response

Consolidating your loans will help with a mortgage because it will decrease your monthly utilization.  I know a good company that can do that for you, Crest at 469-619-0644 - no cost to get a quote on new payment plan.  If possible, get a credit card as well, and you can help your score that way as well.  Visit www.creditcards.com for comparison of all cards available.  If you get a new card, your score will drop a bit at first, but will increase as you make payments on the new account.  Keep a balance of 1-3% on the card at all times for optimum score increase.  Congrats on your doctorate!!