Question

EMANGEL8

working on improving credit to buy a house. would refinancing or getting new car be a bad idea?
I want to lower my interest rate on loan. have been getting offers. would rather trade-in and get a better car if I can get a better interest rate now than 3 years ago. I am saving money and working n fixing credit. If working on buying a house in 6 months should It matter if I refinance auto loan or if I use loan to lower APR and get a newer car?

Thanks

Most Helpful Response

Want vs Need

First off, a new car is a "want" not a need. Unless you are in dire need of a car, why would you even bother with that idea? A House is a need, and should be your first priority. So IMO, get your priorities straight. I'll point out, whenever you "start" a loan, refinance or new, your score will DROP because the account is now NEW and you have no history on it. 

Yes, I think so....as I am tryig to do the same exact thing here.  Any positive new accounts are going to help boost your score...

I see this post is from March. I was curious if you did refi ur car loan, and if so, what impact did it have on your credit? I am in the same boat, but want to lower my interest rates as well as get the cosigner off my car.