Question

atul4bits

wish to close credit cards with annual fees, opened to collect points
Chase saphire card, Amex Delta Gold card and AA Platinum Advantage card both having annual fees.

all of them opened less than a year back

i opened few Credit lines to gain points but now wish to close some of them specially AA platinum card and Amex Delta gold card. They gave me good credit limits. my current credit karma score is excellent.

is there any other negative impact on my credit history other than credit score getting little low.

does it impact your application -vely to when u apply for home loan or auto loan.

any inputs will be really helpful

Most Helpful Response

I am just reading between the lines here... 

-

However, I am fairly cretain when you applied for those cards, you have pretty good idea that you are going to close them before the year is up to avoid AF. You can't obtain those cards without having a solid credit profile and probably have good grasp on how credit/credit card works, not to mention have plenty of other cards in your wallet . So just in case you didn't know or haven't done it already? You can always ask them to wave the AF, if you have another AmEx, Citi cards? you can ask if they are willing move the limit to other card before you close them. I would keep the CSP even with AF.

-

Closing credit card accounts "shouldn't" less your chance for getting loan(s), under some limited circumstances? It might even be advised to do so to lower one's DTI ratios. Of course some credit card issuers don't like you open and close cards in short periods, they see it as you are "churning" for the sign up bonus, could be one of the reasons Chaes implemented the 5/24 rule to slow them down.

atul4bits

thanks. And u read the between the lines pretty well :). Except i have lots of Credit cards in my wallet. I have 4 (one with out Fee and 3 with fee as mentioned above).

i will ask them to move these cards lines/limit to different products w.o. fee Lets see what they say.

Thanks.

I suggest you try the credit simulator program on this site so you can get a clearer idea of exactly how much your credit score would be impacted by closing the cards because it won't be just a little bit.  Re-reading the articles on this site would be a good idea.  The only reason to get a card is because it is something you might want to use, not just because of points.

I open cards for points and rewards.  If they cease to work for me, I close them out, but only after applying for another card so my available credit won't be impacted. You need to understand credit and be on top of your situation if you're going to play this game.

Closing cards is usually a bad idea regarding your credit, doing so would drop your credit and that would affect your applications for credit for mortgage/auto in a negative way. My advice is DON'T DO IT and do some extensive reading about credit.