Question

sstacy19

will you please help me!? Thanks! authorized user...amex
i asked a question a couple of week ago, it didn't receive an answer. I was recently put on a friend's platinum card as an authorized user, Amex just sent me my own card but it is the gold card instead. They had misspelled my last name so when I called them, I asked whey they had not asked for my social security number, she said that sometime in the future they may ask my friend. But, it would not show on my credit report since it is not my account. :( DId I do this in vain? I am trying to raise my credit history, to buy a house. MY history is only 7 months old at this point. What should I do?? should I be added to my aunt's home depot card? It has an $8000 limit and she only uses 20% of it. Thank you so much!

Most Helpful Response

Sounds like it will not be reported to the agencies in your current situation, so it won't really help anything.

While being a reported AU on other people's credit histories can help establish *some* measure of credit history, it is actually visible to lenders that you are an AU and not the actual account holder.  Especially when buying a house, where reports are looked at quite meticulously.

Being an AU on an account won't help as significantly as having your own revolving/installment lines of credit that you manage responsibly and have for a solid period of time.