Question

Lilyescucor7

Will using a credit card balance transfer affect your score? And how?
I would like to use the credit card balance transfer. An offer of no interest for 18 months. But I'm unsure as to how this would effect my credit score. Will I still be able to use the account that will be at a zero balance once the transfer is done? If so will it effect my credit score? I have never used a credit card balance transfer and would like to know what to expect and what to be careful on? Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

I did a consolidation/balance transfer last year after considerable thought.  The new card gave a higher credit limit and a lower interest rate, and offered 0% for 12 months, which has been very good.  I still have the original cards (they're at 19%, so I rarely use them), PLUS the consolidation card.  My credit score rose several points and has remained  that way since. 

To see if it might work for you, try the credit simulator program with the balance transfer.  It will give you a good idea of what changes may happen if you were to make this leap.  That's what I did and I'm glad!