Question

rosel1957

will unpaid student loans lower credit scores

Yes, and they will continue accruing interest until the day they are paid in full.  Unlike other loans, they cannot be written off (except under very extraordinary circumstances) and they cannot be eliminated by bankruptcy.  So, you'll just have to work on paying them off.  I had lates on my student loans and though the loans have been taken care of, the lates will show on my report for several more years until they drop off, the lates have a negative effect on my overall credit rating.

So, you are going to have to find a way to pay them off, and the sooner, the better all around.