Question

micreditokarma

Will the use of "old" credit cards raise my credit score?
More specifically, I mean credit cards that I've had a long time that I seldom use. I only get new credit cards if there's a great offer like frequent flyer miles or statement credits for use or when I need a card for a specific purpose, like one with no foreign transaction fees when I take it out of the country. So, I use them until I get the reward and then go back to my favorite credit card that gives me cash back for things I use often and pay it off monthly.
So, I've read that, with the "old" cards, one should use them occasionally, and pay them off and this will raise my credit score. If this is true, how often should I use them, once a month, once a year, or what? I probably have 15 that I could rotate through on a monthly basis, if it is true that it will really raise my credit score.
While I'm asking, are Home Depot and Lowe's cards reported like Visa and Mastercard or are they like department store credit cards that don't effect credit scores much?
Just to be clear, I've never had a late payment on anything, my credit card use is 1%, I have no derogatory remarks on my credit reports; however, I have applied for 6 credit cards in the last month for points and credits and it dinged me 28 points because it lowered my Age of Credit History. I understand the why, I just want to see if the advice of using the old cards is really worth the effort?
Thanks!

I always keep my old cards alive by using them every 6 months.  I just charge a tank of gas or something small and pay it right off.  If you close these cards, or let the creditor close them due to inactivity, your score will take a hit.  You'll be losing some realy great history, and that is hard to come by.  Best of luck!

micreditokarma

I'm not suggesting closing the old cards, they are open cards, I can use them and they show as open on my credit report. I am asking if it raises my credit score by using them? Thanks for the help,

micreditokarma

.