Question

Pgetz

Will requesting a credit increase on a current credit card affect my credit score?

It depends on the lender. For example I have had  a card with my local bank for 6 years and have always paid on time. I decided to ask for a credit limit increase and was told they would have to do a hard inquiry first. No thanks.

My two Capital One cards and my Discover card allow me to request increases based on my income/direct history with no hard pull.

Remember that no lender can perform a hard inquiry without your prior consent so don’t be afraid to call them and ask.