Question

amb1984

Will removing this account help my credit history?
I have a total of 13 open accounts. 12 of those are under 5 years and only 1 is a little over 10 years, which is the one I am an authorized user on that my grandparents added me to years ago to help me start building credit. My average credit history is showing 2 years. I know it takes the average from all accounts so my question is, if I had my name removed from my grandparents card (the only one over 10 years from a total of 13 cards) will that help my credit history average improve? I've read some other people's posts on here and they say to cancel the youngest cards and keep the oldest, but in this case since I have more newer cards than old should I do the opposite?

Keep the Oldest Card

The short answer is No.  Removing your name from the oldest card "authorized user" will not improve your credit age or overall credit score.  As you know, the age of your credit is calculated by adding the total months you've had each card and dividing that total by the number of cards. So, as an example, I will list 5 cards with their age below:

Capital One 10years 

American Express 5 years  

Chase 5 years 

Chase #2 3years

Citibank  2 years

So, I have 25 years /5 cards= 5 years.  Now, if I remove the oldest card, the math becomes 15years/4 cards=3 years, 3 months.  

I hope this helps.