Question

somecollegegirl

Will paying off student loans early hurt credit score?
Should I wait until payments become due and pay only the minimum payment each month? I'm not worried about interest since it isn't that high, I'm worried about my credit score! I'm in my second year of school. Thanks

Most Helpful Response

Since most people end up paying for their student loans for 15 or 30 years getting started early is a great idea! It will not hurt your credit to pay extra. In fact it may improve your credit, the only reason to keep your loans around is if you don't have any other source of credit history. In that case I would recomend getting a credit card and building credit that way, many places offer student cards that are easy to get.