Question

Natedawg14

will opening a checking account help my credit rating?
Eventually I would like to buy some land, how can I get my rating up?

No, bank accounts have nothing to do with credit. You need lines of credit that are reported to the credit bureaus in order to build credit. Consider getting yourself a SECURED credit card to start with. Really take a lot of time to read everything that you can about building credit and all other credit related topics, the knowledge that you will gain will be helpful to you for the rest of your life. The time reading is an investment in your future.