Question

frankenchops

Will my credit score improve in the short run considering I have a history of late payments?
I have about 12 late payments from 2014 (thanks to divorce). These late payments were my fault. I lost control of my finances temporarily due to circumstances. I have since automated all bills and there is no way I can be late now. I have already contacted the creditors and asked if they can remove the late payments. Both companies said no. I'd like to get my score in a range that will allow me to refi my house, but my score sits around 600. I am paying down my credit cards and currently in the 39% utilization range, soon to be around 20%. I am not sure how quickly that can improve my score due to the payment history. 7 years is certainly a long time to wait... How quickly can the score improve if my credit situation remains positive (meaning no more late payments, low credit utilization, etc)?

Most Helpful Response

Utilization

The biggest and quickest help o your score would be to get all credit cards payed until you are under 9%.  How much that might help in your case can be shown in the credit simulator here in CK.  As more time goes without any late payments the late payments become less of a factor and the score will go up, but not quickly. It seems you have 2 years already with no late payments, and I think you will see an increase here every year added.

Also remember that just because your score here shows 600 that does not mean that is the score the people who refi will get.  They could use one of the 9 FICO scores or even there own.  In my case (this does not mean it will be the same for you) with scores in the mid 700's here; a car loan showed about 700 score and a refi showed about 780-800. The 780 and 800 came from two different lenders as I shopped around.