Question

emmacanseco

will low credit card utilization raise my score?
I know it's best to keep it under thirty percent, but will keeping it low actually increase my score? I was on 1 of my moms credit cards recently but she kept making late payments and the card utilization was at 99 percent, so I had her remove me. I am now off of her credit card, will that raise my score? I still have my own credit card on my report, in that has always been in good standing.

CC Utilization

There is no good answer.  If you go to the credit stimulator under raising or lowering credit card balances, a shift to the left, meaning you've reduced your balance will prompt a green message saying to the effect, ' .. good job, you're responsible and it'll raise your score.'  But when you hit the credit stimulator button you'll see no change in your score.

Conversely raising your balance by a shift to the right will prompt a red message saying in effect, 'bad move,' and hitting the credit stimulator will lower your score.

However having 0 balance every month impacts negatively and gives you a C whereas Credit Karma claims having 1 - 20% utilization gives you an A.  I don't believe it because even their credit stimulator says NO.  

Bottom line, don't play to the calculator.  If you feel comfortable keeping a balance and paying interest monthly go ahead, I think that's stupid and I don't see it raising your score.  If you detest paying interest when you don't have to pay the bill in full and don't worry about credit card utilization.