Question

krums

Will it hurt my credit to close some credit card accounts that I never use? My current score is 789
I want to apply for a line of credit for a new business as well as a mortgage in the next two years and want the best score possible. I have never paid a bill late and never use over 30% of my credit limits. But I have 20 credit cards and don't need half of them.

Most Helpful Response

Which cards to close

Closing the newest cards will help more than closing the older credit.  Congratuations on the great score...you are doing fine.

Usually it will hurt your scores to cancel accounts. However, if you have 20 cards, closing a couple might not cause that much damage.