Will it help to close 1 cc over 90% and just pay off as closed status leaving 1 open with low %?
I recently had 2 cc closed and am on a payment agreement with them that lowered my interest rate. One other cc kept dropping my credit limit as soon as I get some paid down. It kept impacting my score when I was making progress. I went from 680's and over to 585 from this cat a mouse game over a year in addition to some late payments (financial struggles). So I have 2 showing right now. One is a low % and looks good. I have another that's over 90%. I'm thinking I should just close the higher one and leave the lower since making good progress on that one. I have another one that isn't showing (Sears) even though it's got a low % and good payment history. It seemed Chase and PNC kept dropping my limit as soon as I got below a certain amount. It was so frustrating I gave up and closed both Chase and did the "lower rate, I'm just paying this off because I'm ticked" kinda thing. Is it good to just close the higher one, leave the lower and see if that improves my score? I was so used to being in the 700's most of our adult life and then the economy tanked. We felt the full effect and are trying to regain some ground. It's a work in progress but I want to do it right since we'll need new vehicles soon.