Question

shetookflight

Will it boost my score more to pay a $2500 card bill in one lump sum or several large payments?
I have an Amex Blue Cash card with $2500 on it and 0% APR through January. I have the money to pay it off. My question is, will it boost my score more to pay it off in one lump sum, or to pay it in several large payments over time prior to January? I had read a post a long time ago that I can no longer find in which a woman said she raised her credit score the most by paying off a large bill in several large payments rather than one lump sum.

I know that credit scores depend largely on consistency so I'm wondering what is best to do. A lump sum payment could indicate to credit companies that someone lended you money rather than consistently having enough money to make payments over time?

Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

One lump sum. Get your utililization down, that is what will improve your scores. The idea of making several large payments is nonsense.

As long as you don't use up your emergency fund paying it all off.  If you had an unexpected monthly bill in 4 months, and you had to charge it to pay it, it may not be 0% anymore.

But paying it off early shouldn't be a penalty.  I paid off my car 3 years early this year without any worries about it.  And my score went up 5-10 points.