Question

JDG09

Will I still be able to lease with an eviction on my record?
I got evicted a year ago after some ridiculously stupid decisions then the loss of a job. I still owe a decent amount of money for it. It's been passed off to a collections agency. Will I be able to lease a new apartment? I've been subletting so far with no problem but I need to move soon. If I can't lease, with a cosigner (like my parents) do the trick till I get it settled? It's also a very large amount, I don't see myself coming up with that amount anytime soon, is there a way to settle this type of debt for lower now that it's at collections.

You can settle for less

Google "Credit -Offer and compromise" .  When you do that you offer to pay the collection agency a lump sum less that the total due.  You have to do it in writing, and get an agreement in writing BEFORE sending any money.  DO NOT call them, they will agree to anything on the phone, but then turn around and try and collect the rest later.  

As far as leasing a new apartment, that will depend on the landlord. Some (mostly larger complexes) do check credit reports, Others do not.  In this case, I'd suggest that you look for a new place that is on the small side, they tend to be more lax and do not check credit regularly.