Question

umekoshungi

will getting added as a signer increase my account age?
My fiance and I are trying to buy a house, but we don't qualify because of my poor credit. So my journey begins....

He has an amex account open for 10 years or so. will adding me as a signer increase my account age? I've read some places that adding me doesn't affect my credit at all? Other places say it does, but it will only be on my report from this day forward actually hurting my account age.... Anyone have solid info on this?

Most Helpful Response

I haven't added my fiancè to my AMEX, so I can't say with certainty, but I did the same thing for him with Discover. As an authorized user, they do in fact report on his credit, and the account age on his report is just as long as the account has been open for me.

Hope that's a little more helpful than just telling you to go away from a Q&A to read articles. Credit Karma is indeed set up to help people learn. Sharing info between users on these message boards is one of the ways to do just that. ;-)

umekoshungi

thank you barkingllama and addison170. I appreciate the help and the straight answer. I've googled and searched all sorts of things and found so much conflicting info. It was really great to hear from someone who has experience with it. 

Barkinglama is right, anytime you are added as an "authorized user" the credit history becomes yours as if you had the account when it first opened.  It is a great way to quickly build up your credit.  To learn more about building good credit, I suggest www.credit.about.com.  Very user-friendly and covers everything you can think of.  You're off to a good start, best of luck!

How about learning about credit from the articles posted on this site (see left side of the page)?  Credit Karma was set  up to provide the knowledge and online tools to help people LEARN how to build and maintain a good credit score.  I have an Associate's in Accounting and I learned some valuable information that has helped me.  You can too.  Please read and learn for your benefit.