Question

Regner971

Will getting a Credit Card improve my credit? with a little rant..
I'm sure this has been asked several times so sorry. I have several perfectly paid bills on my credit with 34 perfect payments on my car loan. The apartments I was living in screwed me over and said I made to much and said I had to leave. Was unable to pay the last month because had I paid for that month I wouldn't of been able to afford to get another place. Rent and a deposit. Anyways I looked at my credit report and noticed they put a $2,000 in collection. Honestly it really ****es me off because they were the ones that told me I had to leave because I apparently made to much and now I have to pay them $2,000??? I just don't understand it. But back to my improving credit question. If I get approved for a credit card will my credit go up despite having one thing in collections?

Most Helpful Response

If you currently do not have a credit card, it will over time increase your score as long as you manage it correctly.   You will encounter a small drop in your score for the hard inquiry and the drop in the age of your accounts.   Too late now, although, you should have stayed in that apartment until the end of your lease.   If it was a subsidized complex, this would have been the only reason that your income would have been an issue.  Them asking you to leave had no bearing on that last months rent and you should begin the process of paying it back.  You will want to have this as reflected.   Because of the recent collection, you may find that a normal card will be out of reach and you may need to consider a reputable secured card to start you off.