Question

IamTheBadWolf

Will getting a credit card help raise my credit score? I currently have no credit cards.
My credit score is 652. I am trying to raise it and am under the impression that getting a credit card, keeping my balance within 1/3 of my limit, and paying before each due date will help raise my score. Is this truth?

Most Helpful Response

In short, YES.

Make sure you use the card and allow the balance to be reported to the bureaus before paying by the due date. Be smart, only purchase what you would have if you were paying cash, and pay off the balance monthly unless in an emergency. You can also earn rewards from your purchases with the right card. I earn hundreds every year with rewards cards and don't pay a cent in interest.