Question

rjewett17

Will getting a car loan for only $5000 impove my credit.
I have recently sold my home and paid off all my credit cards. I am buying a new car. I could pay cash but I am wondering if getting a small auto loan of only $5000 will help me get better credit so I can get a mortgage later.

Most Helpful Response

paid off credit cards NOT CLOSED correct don't close them and you'll be ok.....regardless if you take out loan or not your score will balance out in 6 months or so...becareful when apply for a auto loan when car dealerships run credit you can get hit for mulitiple inquires 5,6 all for one car search not uncommon thats 30points minus.....I strictly pay cash for a car to avoid it 

Avoid getting the Hard inquiries

Pre-Qualify for a loan with your bank of Credit Union for the loan. So you would be paying same as cash as far as the dealer is concerned.  Also a good negotiating tool

If you want to see if the dealer can get you a better deal, (many are offering 0% deals)  Carry a copy of your most recent credit report in with you and ask them if they can beat the deal you have with the Pre-Qualified loan.  Do not give permission to run your CR unless they say that they can qualify you for a better deal before hand.