Question

Sfstatgrad

Will early payments to my student loans be reported to my payment history?
I graduated with 25k in student loans with about 10 student loan accounts open. They are a mixture of subsidized and unsubsidized loans. I am starting graduate school so I will not have to start paying the loans back for 5 more years. I have a 98% on time payment history because I was having a hard time managing my credit cards when I first started college. The 98% breaks down to 355/360 payments on time. I am waiting for the day when I will have 495/500 payments and a 99% on time credit history. Which brings me to my question - I have about 10 student loan accounts open. If I pay some amount to them every month, will I get a report of on time payment, even though I am under no obligation to begin repayment early?

Most Helpful Response

If they appear today on your credit report, then the payments would be reflected as well.   If they do not appear, they will not be reporting any retroactive payments.  They will just show you as current with those payments moving forward.   The balance reported will just be lower.   You may want to discuss your opitons with a financial planner on how best to make use of the amounts you can afford to pay today.