Question

6MR

Will debt collectors come after me even though I settled my debts?
I had/have 2 credit cards debts with USAA. These were sent to two separate collectors who I believe work under USAA. One credit card balance was approximately $11,000 and the other was approximately $15,000. I settled the smaller amount for $6,000 and the larger for $7,000 when refinancing my home.
I made sure to receive letters from both collectors that we would be settling for the stated smaller amounts. I paid electronically by giving them my checking account number (which after doing some research, may have been the wrong choice - I only use this account as a buffer to gain access to any other funds anyway.) Also, after doing further research online, I made the mistake of not sending checks stating "Paid In Full" when providing payment. I also unfortunately did not have any agreements verbally or in writing that the creditors or collection agencies would report that the accounts would be "Paid in Full" when settling the debts.
Am I still at risk for collectors coming back to get the rest of the debts?
Can anyone give me good news at all in regards to the fact I settled my debts even though I missed some steps?
I currently live in WA State and may move to CA - I've read the ability of collectors to go back for the other balance varies from state to state due to differences in laws.