Question

pirategirl310

Will all debt being collected through a collection agency appear on my credit report?
I am getting calls stating I owe money and that they are taking the matter to civil court unless I pay. I do not recognize the companies name. I am not disputing that I have debt, but I also want to protect myself against fraud. The name of the collection agency is not in any of the accounts reported on my credit report. So my question is, if I am receiving calls from a collection agency/litigation office for a debt, wouldn't that debt be listed on my credit report?

Most Helpful Response

No, it doesn't necessarily need to be on your credit reports. Just because a debt collector is not reporting on your credit reports doesn't mean that they don't hold the debt.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would not ever pay someone over the phone for a debt that they claim I owe them. You are doing right by not giving them any payment over the phone as they could be scammers. If they are an actual collection company that you owe a debt to, they are violating the laws of the FDCPA by threatening you with court. Take photos of your caller id from the numbers that they call from and save for evidence. If they contact you again tell them to send you something in the mail, but do not under any circumstance give them any kind of information and do not admit to owing the debt. Google the phone numbers that they call from and try to find out exactly who they are. If it turns out to be scammers, notify the police or the attorney general in your state. If it turns out to be an actual debt collection company, call a consumer law attorney that practices in your state and sue them for FDCPA violations.