Question

davidaltman

Will accepting a pre-approved offer turn that soft inquiry into a hard one?
My credit has recently recovered and I am starting to get Pre-approved offers. My old cards have max limits of $200-$2000, and I just got approved from a preapproval for $13600. I would like to get another card or two with a high limit to help my debt to credit ratio.

My Question is: When I get these pre-approved offers, will accepting them cause a hard inquiry? And is this answer on a case-by-case basis - some do and some don't?

Most Helpful Response

Beware!  Capital One 'pre-approvals' will result in to your creditors as 'hard inquires'.   I am submitting a dispute to all the 3 agencies on this.  By law in the USA, if an offer is presented to you as 'pre-approved', it MUST be as a soft inquiry hence it won't remain on your credit for 2 years.  The Capital One agents are of no assistance, you have to write a dispute letter to each of the 3 Credite Bureaus.